Sunshine and Solar energy in Italy and Lithuania

What’s solar radiation?

Sunlight is radiant energy sent by the Sun. Radiation has got a direct influence on the temperature, the land and in the process of evaporation, but it has got an indirect influence on the atmosphere, the movement of air masses and on the precipitation. The available energy that arrives on the earth is about a quarter of the total sent by the sun.

Sunshine in Italy
Average monthly hours of sunshine over the year.

Italian solar map

An interesAn interestingting solar map drawn up by the European Union calculates the production of electricity from a solar panel system in the various Italian regions.
In this map we can see that solar panels are very useful to take energy. Especially in the middle of Italy and the south of Italy renewable energy can be exploited by big industry.



In the picture we can see, where is more warm, more sunshines. Sicilia is the most warmest palace in Italy.


Sunlight can be classified in 3 principal groups: ultraviolet radiation, visible radiation and infrared radiation. These are all forms of electromagnetic radiation. We can see 3 types of ultraviolet radiation:1. UVA, about the 95% that reaches the earth2. UVB, the other 5% and they are the most harmful. They can cause burns and skin cancer3 UVC, that are 99% absorbed by oxygen and by the ozone.

Solar in Lithuania

Ultraviolet solar radiation. State

Average in 2009 ultraviolet solar radiation in Kaunas was 0.297 MED / h, Palanga - 0.302 MED / h (MED - minimal erythemal dose - a dose of ultraviolet radiation from the sun, causing a significant reddening of the skin completely white). In recent years there has been this tendency to increase the intensity of radiation. Compared with multi-averages, 2009 Central Lithuania Kaunas Meteorological Station), it was about 16% in western Lithuania (Palanga aeronautical meteorological station) about 19% higher. In Western Lithuania the average monthly values of radiation from April to July is very low - 0.05 MED / h were higher than in Kaunas. In the coming months - the central Lithuania 0.02 MED / h, was higher than in the west. However, the highest radiation values were 0.179 Palanga MED / h higher than in Kaunas.

Solar duration. State

2009 the sun shone on average 1,910 hours - 128 hours more than the rate of climate (1782 hours). In winter and spring, it was considerably less than the multi-annual averages is due to the prevailing air masses and high clouds. But already in April, a major part of the country the sun shone on average 100 hours more than the average multi-annual. In May, the sun shining 20 to 30 hours later, in June - about 30 hours less than the climatic norm. Such weather consequent Atlantic cyclones.

Solar radiation

In winter, the lighting intensity in Lithuania is lower. The most sunny place with us is Nida. Intensity of 1042 kW / m². At least the sun is the exchanges. There, only 926 kWh / sq. Vilnius about 939 kWh / sq. The maximum radiation is oriented to the south (the Sun direction).


Solar collectors